Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Blind Girl (Chapter 1)

Disclaimer: 
This is the first time that I will attempt to write a story in the hope that in the future, I may be able to write a decent novel. I'm a trying-hard writer, so forgive me. Any similarities of this story to any existing ones by known or unknown author/s is purely incidental. Don't shoot me. :)


The first time I saw her, she was sitting alone in the park near my apartment. She was holding what appears to be a long leash on her left hand attached to nothing and a cane on her right. She was wearing a blue cardigan over a white shirt , a faded and torn jeans, and a white rubber shoes. Her hair was straight and long. She was wearing something so plain yet she caught my undivided attention. She was very beautiful and that's probably why I could not take my eyes off her. I've been staring at her for about five minutes when I realized that she was also staring at me, blue eyes unblinking, wearing no emotions whatsoever. It's as if she had no soul. I felt myself shudder and blush at the same time and decided that I was already late for work. So I left in haste and decided to place her in my memory bank. But she stayed on my mind throughout the day. I got really really curious.

The next day, I saw her again. I enjoyed a little pleasure from that. She was still holding that same leash. This time she was wearing all black. Black shirt, black pants, black shoes, and black cap. She was so attractive. But her eyes looked the same. She carried a blank look on her face. My curiosity got the better of me and I braved myself and inched my way towards her.  

 "Hi." I began. She jerked her head suddenly to her left where I was standing but she was not really looking at me. I began forming a conclusion in my head. "Sorry, did I startle you? I'm Chris. I saw you yesterday here carrying that leash. Did you lose your dog or something? I'm from around here. I can help you find your buddy." No answer. I tried again. "Can I sit beside you? I swear I'm not a creep. I just wanted to rest since I've gotten tired waiting for a cab." Smooth lie but that brought a smile from her. It's almost worth it. "Okay." She said softly. I was jolted by the softness of her voice that I felt my  heart throb a bit. As if a current passed through it, like a dead engine being restarted. I felt strange. Now, I really felt like a creep. I stared at her but she resumed staring at the speeding cars on the street. I placed my palm in front of her eyes and she did not blink. She did not flinch. She saw nothing. She was blind.

After a pregnant pause, I tried to have a small talk with her but she did not respond. I left her after saying goodbye. The next day, I saw her again and I said "Hi" then went on my way. I did not want to be so intrusive as it was clear that she wanted to be left alone. The park or the bench must be her favorite spot.  

Everyday, I looked forward to seeing her. I never missed saying "Hi" and "Hello" to her and sometimes, I lingered by looking at her too long. I felt brave since I know she could not see me. Even just a glimpse of her made me feel really happy. I was really curious about her dog even though she never told me she had one but one can never stop assuming since she was always holding the leash. Every night, I look at the photo of her which I discreetly snapped when no one was looking because I didn't want to be suspected as a rapist or a stalker or something. I imagined doing nice things with her. I imagined holding her hands which I bet are really soft. I always kiss her photo every morning and before I sleep. "What the hell was happening to me?" I thought. It's like I'm an obsessed fan of an unknown artist.

On the 3rd week, I tried again. I was carrying two ham sandwiches and two cans of soda. I slowly walked towards her and battled how to approach her. "Hello again". I began. I then sat beside her and took one sandwich from my bag."I brought you a ham sandwich. I made it myself this morning.  Promise, it's not poisoned." I smiled at myself. Creep. She did not respond. I sat there in silence looking at whatever she was looking at.
"I know what you are doing." She said suddenly.
"Huh? What do you mean?"
"I know you want to make friends with me."
"Yes, actually I do." I said not wanting to let go of the rare chance that she decided to speak with me, or to speak at all. 
"Please stay away from me. I'd like to be left alone. It's not that you're a bad person. But I really don't want you to ever talk to me again." She said. "Please."
I felt annoyed at her. And my stubbornness overcome my good judgement. I am not about to be rejected
"Why?" I asked. 
"Just..go away!" she yelled. 
"Alright, alright. Don't be upset. I'm sorry, okay. I'm going now." I said and I left, now my curiosity was really on.

The following day, I mustered a false courage and told myself "Now or Never". I sat beside her again, noisily so she'll know I was there and I heaved a deep sigh. She looked shock.
"I don't get it." I started, frustration is evident in my voice. "You seat here everyday, all day long doing nothing but stare at space which I don't think you ever see because I think you are blind. I could not understand why you don't want to have someone to talk to. I am really really trying to be friends with you because I really like you but why are you pushing me away without even knowing me yet?" I was breathless. Shit. I said too much. I am really a creep.
"I'm sorry. That was such a rotten thing to say." I said after a while. 
" You like me." She said. More of a statement rather than a question.
"Yes." I said quietly. "Look, you're so beautiful and I don't think it's wrong to like someone as beautiful as you." I frankly said. After a short while, I uttered sorry. "I'm a jerk. Don't mind me." Silence.
"I'm Stephanie."
"Lovely name. I'm Chris." I was very aware of her change of attitude, she softened a bit. I was happy to know that the girl had a name.
"I know. You told me that the first time you talked to me.I'm sorry for being such a jerk. I am used to sitting here alone and not speaking and I really felt intruded. I did not mean to appear too grumpy." She explained.
"Don't be sorry.It's okay." I assured her. I was focused more on the fact that she remembered my name. God.
"I'm blind." She stated the obvious.
"I can see that. Why are you alone here then?" I asked.
"I'm waiting for Jake."
I felt speechless. Jake. So, she had a boyfriend. I did not even entertain that idea. Of course! A girl this beautiful must have a boyfriend. Stupid of me to even think that she was sitting here just to lure and seduce me.  
"Would Jake punch me if he saw me talking to you?". I wanted to know.
She laughed. It was music to my ears.
"I have to go." She stood up and walked slowly using her cane.
"Would you like me to walk you home?" I offered, not wanting to let her go..yet.
"I'm okay Chris." She said proudly.
I did not push it. Although I felt like being pricked multiple times by a needle, I did not push it. 
"Will I see you tomorrow?" I softly asked.
She did not answer. I looked at her longingly. I thought that it ended before it even began.  

I woke up the following morning with a giant hangover. Shit. My head was pounding so hard. I got really drunk last night. I was so upset about that Jake thing. A stranger just broke my fuckin' heart. My life's a real mess. 

Wait a minute.  

Was I falling in love with a stranger? How can this happen to me? Can you really fall in love with a stranger? How did it even happen?   I stood up and looked myself in the mirror. Ugh! I looked like crap. I was so pathetic.  How can a total stranger affect me this way? I willed myself to ready for work and grudgingly drank my coffee. No sugar.

I was so pissed off that I decided not to pass through the park on the way to work. I did not expect her to be there. I think she would be looking for another place where to spend her mornings, a place where no creepy jerk would ever dare approach her and disturb her reverie. I painfully succeeded in avoiding the park for a week but I could not take it anymore. I needed to see her.

I did not expect to see her again. But there she was..still with that leash. My heart was filled with so much sadness upon seeing her. But she looked really sad as well, I observed. I got worried that something might be wrong. I was also worried that If I approach her, she would again reject me. I inched closer. She looked sick, it's like she was not sleeping well.

"Chris? Are you there?" she suddenly said. It startled me. How did she know I was there?
"Hey." I managed to say. I don't know if I was imagining it but I thought I saw her face brighten when she heared me.
"Hey.." She said softly. 
"I've been waiting for you.." she said.
'Oh..I got real busy at work". I lied. "Why were you waiting for me?". I still did not move from where I was standing. I was so nervous and excited. She was waiting for me.
After a very long silence, she said.."I was hoping you would bring me sandwich. I was not able to eat the one you first brought for me." She was smiling. 

I felt like I'm going to have a heart attack.  

========= to be continued===========
     

No comments:

Post a Comment